Thursday, March 26, 2009

Earection, Eargina, Earouch

"Please dismantle,
all these phantom limbs.
It's the evidence,
of humans as ornaments humans as ornaments...."
-The Mars Volta

So today I went to the ER in my new city of residence for the first time. It wasn't too bad, waited about 2 hours or so before I got in to see a doctor, another hour after that and I was on my way.
The triage nurse had said, "You should see a doctor". I was a little confused, I mean, I was at the emergency room after all, didn't I already know this? Like, was there a chance I might not see a doctor still? I asked how long it would be, and she told me, "I don't know, but you should wait, because that's not going to go away on it's own". So, yeah, obviously I stuck around.

They took a look, and then moved me to a room with an adjustable table in it. They got me to lie on my side and inject my ear a few times with some anesthetic. It was weird, it felt like they had just poked my abscess, so it would leak, and then left for a while. I guess the anesthetic felt like a liquid moving down my neck. I didn't realize until I woke up not long ago that where my neck had been tense for days, was all numb. I was too focused on the ear job to notice at the time. Hopefully, they'll gimme another shot tomorrow.

So they cleaned out my ear, packed it with some mesh, a procedure I was familiar with, as members of my family have had abscesses in the past. They gave me two pills, and got me to wait a while for them to kick in before they hooked me up to IV antibiotics. The pills boost the serum level of penicillin-class drugs and slows their breakdown. Pretty much only used for bad infections.

When I woke up this morning, or I guess yesterday morning now, I had a sort of burning sensation in my ear, and there was a discolouration near the edge. I wondered what it was that causes cauliflower ear, and how did Van Gogh make out anyway? Then I sort of realized, if I don't get this looked at soon, I could be dealing with a permanent disfigurement, or worse, hearing loss.

Why do I hate the hospital so? When they said I'd need IV antibiotics for three days, at first I thought they meant I'd need to be admitted, and I was not pleased. Just yesterday, I received a verbal warning at work about my missing shifts as of late. I call in and such, and it's been because I was unable to work because I was stranded out of town, or I was too sick to work. In fairness though, I did end up stranded out of town quite a bit. But, as I told work, that shouldn't happen anymore, no travel plans in the near future.

But, I guess I'm feeling better now. My ear has been looked at, and I've got a way in tomorrow and the next day quickly, so they should have me fixed up pretty soon.

Well, I'm making some food now, and reading wikipedia while it cooks, so this is pretty much it.
Sorry for the grossness of the content, but hey, that was my day. Have a good one, may random find you well.
\m/

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home