Friday, October 17, 2008

written on the clock(mostly)

Feel good this morning.

Ate spaghetti at midnight, delicious. Slept well too. Got up early, moved some furniture before work. Damn sharp-edged desk, hard on the hands. My fingers feel a little chewed up, you know? The old man freaked out a bit while we were moving it, but that was a dopamine depletion thing more than a logical reason thing. Financial woe or not, the guy likes his, well, stuff. Not my place to say.

So I had a little puff before work today, thinking about starting my own version of 'casual fridays'. I must say, so far, the results have been promising. I repuffed on my break, keep me from dosing off. I had a couple of calls that pissed me off, but only for a minute or so. Quick turn-around time makes for less time spent upset. Also, I smile at names that sound funny or people's odd anecdotes make me laugh more than usual.

Skunk Weed, the scourge of our generation! Making shitty jobs tolerable! What a menace!

Imagine, if when you got cut off in traffic, you thought "Hey, I'm in no hurry!" or, "I must've been going too fast man!". Wouldn't road rage go down significantly? Then again, there is the problem of slow people in the drive-thru, when you have the munchies bad, that'll drive you nuts.

Nevermind that now, I have a thought.
I'm thingKing hard.
The insane parade; like a surprise party, and you're the guest of honour.
Oh Wow! All here for me? For my amusement? Wait, who's that guy? I don't even like him...
This isn't right. Everyone likes me? Everyone wants to see me do well? Nobody has anything negative to say? I must be dead.

How else could it be explained? Let's all sing and dance and tra-la-la forever? That's a long-ass time. Heaven IS hell.

I just got a funny call; the name on the file was "Home Owner" then the last name, so, when I asked to speak with Home Owner Cormier, the woman on the line was skeptical immediately. Although, she should have received some mail from us with that name on it, but anyway, this quick 30 second call lasted a few minutes. When she found out I live in New Brunswick, she said "Oh! I thought you were some stuck-up snob from Ontario or something!". That's typical maritimer right there. Don't even get us started about 'Out-West'.

Note to people; when you give the wrong name, we'll call and ask for the wrong name.

Ok, so, I spoke with this fellow, with one leg oddly, who works with revenue Canada. He approved funding for things like the Canadarm, he said Trudeau told him to his face that he we get fired for trying to introduce the GST, but that Mulroney(obviously) eventually did it. He was telling me about problems he's had with Rogers, and I know he isn't alone in them, so that certainly lends him credibility. He was telling me about different Aerospace organizations, some far ahead of their time RIGHT NOW. He told me that most of our cellular networks and satellites were all put in place before 1981, it's all old technology. Seems about right.

This call lasted probably twenty minutes, as opposed to the average thirty-three seconds it usually takes me to deliver the 'reminder script'. The guy blasted me right away saying it's junk mail and I must work for Rogers and telling me he has a Nielsen rating box and Cogeco cable monitors everyone automatically, there's a light that comes on apparently. He just been monitored a whole lot during the election coverage, he said in fact, the light had gone out at 1:30pm today. I tried to explain why I was calling, and he went back to telling me it's junk mail that's in the garbage, and I'm working for Rogers. I got upset and cut him off. I told him, well, if as you say your Nielsen box has been there for 40 years, it has OUR COMPANY'S LOGO on it, as we were in partnership 40 years ago. I don't work for a cable company, I don't work for any broadcaster, we even send five dollars in each booklet he would have had twenty dollars in his envelope, so don't tell me it's junk mail and I work for Rogers. We even called weeks ago to make sure it was ok to send, that they were interested, to confirm their address and the number of televisions they have, so it's not unsolicited mail by any means.

This guy seemed to be both insightful and naive. Well, maybe not naive, so much as senile. He got a little repetitive, and he pissed me off insisting I work for Rogers, but the stuff about aerospace tech and communications tech and being this one-legged dude that met Pierre Trudeau back in the day, that was an awesome call. Any call where you end up yelling is at least somewhat fun. With all this bonus technology info and a dash of paranoia, it was a great call to end the week. Have a good one.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home